2013. I didn’t know that one year could be so full of life and change. As I look back on all that happened this past year, I find myself surprised. This year has been so life changing. Here are 13 things that happened in my life in 2013:
1. My family went on our best vacation yet. Only four more years until the next family cruise.
2. I decided to change my major. Education majors are overrated, right?
3. I quit my full-time job to go to school full-time instead of part-time. Finally!
4. I was able to baptize 3 students from my church. Seriously, such an honor!
5. My good friend got married! Bridesmaid swag.
6. My brother-in-law came home from Afghanistan. Reunions are beautiful.
7. I decided to start a blog! It has been so rewarding.
8. I turned 21. Old maid status.
9. My work was published in a book! Probably the most exciting thing that happened this year.
10. I ran my first 5k with my family. Blood, sweat, tears, and horrible running times. We all got better though!
11. I watched the most precious little boy for 3 months full of dirty diapers, spilled baking powder, and so much joy.
12. I spent hours and hours laughing until I cried with my two best friends. They bless my heart and challenge me so.
This year has been surprising in so many ways. At the beginning of the year, I had no idea I would be where I am now. This year I learned that I can make as many plans as I want to, but God’s will prevail. And not only will His plans actually come to be, but His are so much better than mine.
As I’m sure everyone can say, there have been some good times, and there have been some not-so-good times. But through it all, I know that God was present and working through it all.
I wonder though, what does next year hold? This year has been full of transitions and changes, will next year settle everything, or will I be as uncertain as I am now? As far as uncertainty goes, I think its a good thing for me. Being uncertain keeps me searching, it keeps me from getting into a rut, and it keeps me dependent on God to show me what is next.
Everyone always says that life is an adventure, after 2013 I think I believe them. As for 2014, I can only wait and see. I do know a few things about 2014 though. I know that no matter what happens, God is already there and is able to do far more with it than I can do myself.
I have a feeling though, that 2014 will be my best year yet.
So here is to the new beginnings that come with a new year. May we take advantage of the time we have and do all the things we wish we had done last year. May we live our lives without fear of what is to come because we know the One who holds all.
Happy New Year, friends.